Beginner’s Luck.

When Claire and I started The Aesthetic Collective, I didn’t think we would get our first client so quickly. Not that I was complaining though! Our first client came in the form of Sean, who was wanting to create a business that delivers carefully selected products to loved ones via a Thankyou Box. The idea was born out of the idea of spreading appreciate, which is something I could definitely get behind. I was a little nervous going into the job because I didn’t know what to expect. All my past product photography have been for myself to post on my instagram page, so it was a little daunting to create images for another person who may or may not have the same style and aesthetic that I do.

The brief was simple: bright, clean, and unisex.

moodboard

Fitting the brief.

There are two things I needed to first be aware of: what the client wants, and what do their products look like. Lucky for me, the brief given to me was exactly what I was hoping for in my first real shoot – bright, clean, and unisex. Not too long after receiving the brief, the products were delivered to me. I struck lucky again when I saw Sean’s products. The boxes itself were white, with his minimalist logo emblazoned on the front. Even the products were simple and the packaging quite minimal.

I decided the best way to pose these boxes was to make sure the logo was shown, so after a little tweaking around, I came up with a handful of ways I could style the lids to come up with unique styling. I also wanted to make it look like the products were coming out of the box, so you can see in a few photos that I styled the paper stuffing to overflow out of the box, and position the products either outside the box, or poking their heads out of them.

The process.

These photos were taken using a makeshift box made of white foamcore paper, using natural window light. I’m not going to lie, the things I found most challenging was the fact that I could only work during certain hours of the day due to needing quite a bit of sunlight, as well as not quite having a lot of room to maneuver around to take the photos. This was difficult as I work random days during the week, so I couldn’t be too sure when I would be home during specific hours (2-5PM), where I could take the photos.

However, everything turned out well. There weren’t too many shadows, and editing these images was a breeze. There was one photo that turned out a little out of focus that I didn’t realise, and I had to reshoot the one image. This time, Claire had produced a DIY lightbox for me, so I used this as an opportunity to test it out. Our lightbulbs were a lot warmer than I thought would be, but that was easily edited by increasing the coolness of the photo. Using the lightbox also helped to diminish a lot of the shadows produced by having a light source coming in from one side.

Final product.

Overall, I was very happy with the way the photos turned out, and I thought I did a pretty good job considering it was my first time styling someone elses products.

tyb-1